When the White Sox selected Nick Madrigal with the number 4 overall pick in the MLB draft this past Monday, the diminutive infielder from Oregon State became the 72nd first round pick for the White Sox in franchise history. And that, my friends, gets us to the heart of today’s Sporcle: of those 72 names, how many can you name? Good luck!
- As always, just last names accepted, in addition to both first and last.
- You’ll have 15 minutes to attempt completion.
- For hints, I’ve provided the year and the pick number.
Useless information to amaze, annoy, confound, and/or confuse your friends:
- The White Sox have picked first overall just twice in their history: 1971 and 1977.
- By career bWAR, the top-five for the Sox: 73.7, 56, 38.5, 33.5, 28.9.
- 46 of the 70 names on this list reached the majors, good for a 63% success rate; averaging out all 30 MLB teams, the league-wide success rate on first-rounders is 61.8%.